It seems that the entire landscape of the Internet can change in a heartbeat; one alteration of the almighty algorithm and poof: your site loses rank and business falls apart. Stay on top of the changes and understand the fundamentals of good SEO management that will save your spot in the rankings, as well as save you from many late-night headaches. The following tips will get you in better SEO shape.
1. New and useful content. Gone are the days when a few paragraphs of mediocre content will suffice; SEO now mandates that your content be updated often and highly relevant. There are actually teams in place at the major search engine whose sole job is to analyze the quality of the content of websites to be ranked. Yes, people are actually reading your content, so make sure it’s top-notch.
2. Building relationships with visitors. The company your site keeps is also evaluated and used as a standard of judgement. The number of visitors, as well as how long they stay on each page is painstakingly monitored. Keep this in mind as you design your site or modify it for improvement. Convince people to “Like” you, “Plus” you and “share” you as much as you can.
3. Showing strength with link building. Don’t try linking to farms that are a mixed bag of topics, trash and old, unused pages. Since raising the bar, the major search engine is concerned with who you are connected with and will take off points if you’re trying to pull a fast one. Too many deductions may lead to the rug being pulled out from beneath your feet completely.
4. Over-optimizing anchor text. When too many links with the same anchor text are built, this is referred to as over-optimization, and that can lead to instant penalties by all-knowing and all-seeing algorithms out there. Mix up your links and vary your text, all while maintaining the highest quality. It may take a lot longer than the alternative ways, but in the end, your SEO efforts will be saved.
5. Keyword research. Building your site without doing adequate keyword research is just plain SEO suicide. Thorough keyword research means you know how people are searching, about site structure and blog topics and how to strategize your link building. Don’t just assume that because you’ve done it before, you’re homework with keyword research is finished. That could be a fatal error.
6. Usability and design. The fewer friction users experience on your site, the higher your conversion rates will be. In SEO, this is a huge indicator of a well-designed site and that scores you points with the big engine. Keep your site clean, easy to use and full of the latest news and pertinent data. You won’t just make the sale, you’ll be building and maintaining your rank.
As tedious and fast-paced as SEO management may be, you’ve simply got to be on top of it. Miss a beat and business suffer, sometimes irreparably. Use the above tips and stay on top of industry info, to avoid major SEO disasters.